- This event has passed.
Proofreading Fundamentals for Business & Marketing Professionals
April 7 @ 8:30 am - April 9 @ 12:15 pm HST$169 – $199
If you have found yourself wishing that you could create sentences that are clearer, simpler, and better understood by others, this course is for you. If you have found yourself pensively contemplating the placement of a single comma in something you have written or the written work of someone else, you will relish in the content presented within this course. Writing well in any setting requires a true appreciation for the recipient—the reader. Using the written word to express anything of importance can be challenging, though, because when one writes, one is sharing a sense of what makes us human. This awareness is essential for solid editing. In this hands-on course, we will use Standard American English to explore key techniques for proofreading, copyediting, line editing, developmental editing, structural editing, content editing and collaborating with writers. Attendees will begin by learning and utilizing proofreaders’ marks—both in the left and right margins and the corresponding lines of text—that indicate and correct errors within hard copy of typed text. We will then move to onscreen editing. Whether you want to polish your own writing, hone your skills so as to edit the manuscripts of others, or simply build your confidence as an expert in all elements of the English language, you will enjoy this fun, interactive, and exploratory course that celebrates the concept of writing well.
- How to edit in American English for a variety of audiences and content types, including corporate communications, web publications, fiction and narrative nonfiction
- Grammatical rules and how to utilize standard and customized style guides
- Online editing and content management tools and best practices
- Characteristics of various professional environments and strategies for determining the best fit for you as an editor
- Develop skills by editing excerpts of text crafted by real authors